July 14, 2006

Web Portals

Continuing to play around with Webtops and becoming convinced that they are the interface of the futureI am becoming more and more convinced that we are only a couple of feature cycles away from the new, fully customizable, available anywhere, corporate Webtop. Yes, I'm back to this (previous post) - but listen - I've got new stuff....

e-Clippings (a division of blogoehlert): Continuing to play around with Webtops and becoming convinced that they are the interface of the future



Mark is looking at web2.0 home pages like NetVibes and 30boxes.  I totally support his premise that these pages will become the future "portals" that we were looking for in the past.  I was part of a couple of teams in the late 90s early 00s that attempted to create sophisticated web portals for specific industries.  However, these new aggregators are completely configurable. 

Individual vs Team vs Community (or all three)

It will be interesting to see at what level these portal pages become customized within an organization.  Will it be up to the employee to add widgets and application interfaces that they need or will some manager decide what is best for the corporation and go "top-down".  I'm not sure, but I do think they will be a more effecient way to work vs having a long list of hyperlinks in your favorites and then having to hunt for them when you are on the road.  Actually these sites go way deeper then hyperlinks...

My Experience

About a month ago I went back into NetVibes and started configuring my own homepage.  The feature that pulled me back to their site was the ability to have multiple pages. Additionally, I was able to pull my corporate email and my gmail, grab my Writely files, and mange my files through box.net from anywhere on the net.  Very Cool indeed!

technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

No comments:

Post a Comment