October 13, 2006

Are Numbers Important?

I was thinking about how many readers I have on my blog, I am more prone to do this kind of thinking now that I have Google Analytics and I have been helping others install it on there blog. The question I ask myself is it important for me to try to increase my blog readership? I am coming to the conclusion that building a community around my blog would probably be very valuable in helping me think deeper about the issues and topics that I write about.

Reading that last statement sounds really obvious, but to build a network, I think you have to adjust your focus from yourself to your readers. This blog has really been about me (even this post is all about me) not about educating or supporting or helping others. I don't draft my posts with the readers in mind, I draft straight from my thoughts and ideas as I type.

bloganalytics1013 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As you look at my statistics you can see that I don't have a lot of visitors, but interestingly they come from all over the world and use various aggregators to read the site. I'm not going to make any commitments about changing my blogging style at this point, but I'm sure I'll continue to reflect on how important it is to get an exchange of ideas and not just have me spitting out random and not well thought out comments.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip Lee. I had not notice this Google product. I've added it and will be interested to see the stats. I agree with your comments about reader vs. writer perceptions.

    ReplyDelete