January 24, 2007

Ruby on Rails Conference


Yesterday was a full day at a conference designed to give us the latest developments in the Ruby on Rails, an open source web development framework. It was really interesting. The topics were very challenging for a non-programmer like myself, yet very cool. It was first time attending an event outside of the elearning/education arena. It is a single track conference, which I like, and there was a keynote at the end of the day. Dave Thomas, the author of a very popular book in the Rails world, talked about pushing the development community into the main stream and not letting the others decide how projects should be done.

As always, listening to presentations all day is tiring and I was wiped out by the end of the day. I love the fact that I am one of the least technical people in the room and listening to anyone talk will make me a better team member at our company. Some key concepts that I took away:

  • Sending formats such as .js, .xml, .yaml, or .rss based on what is requested from the client
  • simplicity and the amount of energy that can dedicated to achieve it
  • the power of a dynamic language and in particular an object
  • CRUD and the power of constraints

So, I realize there are probably several other things, but these are the ones I remember. I started a post about how apply some of the thinking of the Rails Community to the elearning community. Hopefully I can get back to that concept soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment