June 6, 2005

The Rest of Sunday

I ended up not having a wireless connection the rest of the day and spent the evening with my family, so this is the first chance that I have had to update the blog. The day was pretty long. I enjoyed the sessions that I attended but they were not very in-depth. The first session discussed the differences between the training department and the executive management team in an organization. I understand how important it is to make this link, but the session didn’t really get into specific strategies. They used a device to pool the audience called Quizdom. After a few rocky attempts it worked well. I would have been interested to see them use it throughout the period to gather feedback from the entire audience.

I really enjoyed the general session after all the announcements and awards were done. I realize that stuff is important and people need to be recognized, but I still don’t want to sit through it. The main speaker was a gentleman who had a great story to tell. Robert Knowling just seemed genuine about everything he worked on. He shared his approach to transformational change. 1. Wake the group up. Create a case for change.2. Create motivating vision. Effect the unit that matters. The managers. 3. Create a distraction where you reweave the social fabric of the organization.

Leader
1. lead change process
2. be the best cheerleader in the world
3. give credit, take blame.

In the afternoon I attended the building business simulations that drive business results session. The present was knowledgeable, but it was a bit more for trainers developing classroom-based simulations and it focused on the “how-to” and not so much the approach itself. The final session of the day was on storytelling. I only stayed for about 30 minutes. It just wasn’t for me and I want to supper with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment