July 13, 2005

Can Video Long Tail Boost Learning And Educational Opportunities? - Robin Good' Sharewood Tidings

Can Video Long Tail Boost Learning And Educational Opportunities? - Robin Good' Sharewood Tidings

link

I used to talk a lot about individualized content for elearning.  It is really starting to manifest itself in other contexts such as media and entertainment.  I don’t read traditional newspapers, but I know the news and I have many different views of the same news events.  This is a critical issue.  Being the age that I am, I have the unique experience of being “old school” (I typed my high school and undergraduate papers on a type writer) and new school (I was part of the earliest efforts to remix technology by re-purposing Disney produced video-discs for elementary education).  I have really been able to watch first hand the transition of teachers from  “sage on the stage” to coach or facilitator.  It is really starting to happen.

This article by Robin Good provides some solid details on the probability of a new type of television.  For educators, this view means that there will be infinitely more opportunity to have the right type of content available for your students.  My wife and I recently produced Quicktime videos of students taking assessment instruments.  This really showed the students how the tests were to be administered and presented the concept of building a repoir between the administrator and the test taker, in this case a young student.   If you would have purchased a studio production for this it would have been expensive and long and boring.  Our clips did last as long as the opening credits would have taken on this type of video and they were broken into small clips with supporting information. 

Video is now a viable medium and when only get easier and cheaper and as soon as the video iPod or the Creative Zen get wider appeal, we will see this approach take off. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment